International Podcast Day is September 30th – and it’s no wonder this new medium has its own day, with over 50% of the US population having partaken. As of 2019, there were 750,000 podcast shows and counting, with over 30 million episodes available through streaming services like Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Google Podcasts. With so many different podcasts,
And – as you were no doubt wondering – many of those podcasts are centered around entrepreneurship, start-ups, and business in general. So many, in fact, that it can be difficult to comb through to find the right one for you – so we took the work out of it, and we’ve compiled a short-list of what we think are the 45 best podcasts for entrepreneurs, founders, and small business owners.
The GaryVee Audio Experience
Most of the entrepreneurs we’ve talked to are already very familiar with Gary Vaynerchuk, the wine critic turned digital marketing mastermind. The GaryVee Audio Experience is available globally across basically every platform – including Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, SoundCloud, Overcast, iHeartRadio, Spotify, Google Podcasts (and on Google Home (just say “Ok Google, listen to The GaryVee Audio Experience”) as well as Alexa). The guy is, as we said, a digital mastermind, and king of content distribution. The show gives listeners intimate access to a guy who really knows how to build businesses. His September 26th episode features an intriguing conversation about activism through empathy with British actress, Jameela Jamil, but take our advice and check out his episode “How to Crush It in 2019” to get a good feel for what you can really get out of the show. Ask anyone, and they’ll tell you this is definitely one of the best podcasts for entrepreneurs out there.
NPR’s How I Built This
Host Guy Raz talks “innovators, entrepreneurs, idealists – and the stories behind the movements they built”. The September 23rd episode features Andy Puddicomb and Rich Pierson, founders of Headspace, the $100 million annual meditation app. Past episodes have featured a wide variety of guests from serial entrepreneur Mark Cuban to Instagram’s Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger, James Dyson (of Dyson), and even Power Rangers producer Haim Saban.
The Tim Ferriss Show
Regularly ranked #1 business podcast on Apple Podcasts (and oft name-dropped in our circle at least), host Tim Ferriss was first to pass 100,000,000 downloads – and for good reason. (He’s over 400M now.) The best selling author of The Four-Hour Workweek executes long-form interviews with guests like Lebron James, Neil Gaiman, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Rick Rubin. September 19’s episode features Tristan Harris, director and co-founder of the Center for Humane Technology and former Design Ethicist for Google, who was named one of the “25 People Shaping the World” by Rolling Stone Magazine.
Masters of Scale
Hosted by Reid Hoffman (co-founder of LinkedIn), Masters of Scale provides the best startup advice you’re going to get just about anywhere. Reid dives deep with founders to explore what scaling looked like for some of the most iconic companies on Earth, like Netflix, Facebook, Uber, Medium, 23&Me, and more. The most recent episode is a real treat, with Reid Hoffman answering strategy questions from early-stage entrepreneurs. Check it out here.
Matt Goldman, Michael Sacca, and Joelle Goldman host Rocketship, a 30-minute show that focuses on tech startups and their unique challenges. Twice a week, the hosts interview a startup founder with a laid-back conversational vibe. Rocketship delves into product management, growth, culture, and so much more. Their September 26th episode focuses on Product Vision, as the hosts interview Laura Roeder, CEO of Edgar (a social media planning tool that you should definitely know about), exploring what it really means to be a product-driven company.
40 More Top Podcast Picks for Entrepreneurs
- The $100MBA – “The $100 MBA Show is a new kind of podcast where you simply get better at business with our real business lessons from real entrepreneurs in the real world. [The] show is the first of its kind with a unique format, delivering straight to the point, actionable lessons.”
- Ambitious Entrepreneur Show – “Annemarie [Cross] and her guests will show you how to navigate and stand out in a rapidly-changing and competitive marketplace so YOU become THE influential voice in your field… Annemarie is currently focusing on another one of her podcasts – Industry Thought Leader.”
- As Told By Nomads – “As Told By Nomads podcast [hosted by Tayo Rockson] features interviews with global nomads, Third Culture Kids, entrepreneurs and multicultural individuals who are leaders in business, culture, travel and global affairs to discuss what it takes to embrace your global identity and become a global leader.”
- BizChix – “Natalie helps women entrepreneurs own their role as CEO through her business trainings, on air coaching calls and expert interviews.”
- Built To Sell – “Based off the best-selling book, Built To Sell, join John Warrillow as he speaks with business owners about their trials, tribulations and successes on exiting their company – or improving their company value to one day get there.”
- Collective Wisdom For Tech Startups – “Collective Wisdom is a podcast designed to highlight the unique attributes that make exceptional companies, well, exceptional. Each episode will provide strategies and tactics you can apply to your startup or job.”
- EntreLeadership – “Hosted by Alex Judd, the EntreLeadership Podcast features lively discussions and tips on leadership and business by some of the top minds in the business, like Mark Cuban, Seth Godin, Jim Collins and Simon Sinek.”
- Entrepreneur Effect – “The Entrepreneur Effect [highlights] opportunities for entrepreneurs in digital marketing through interesting, practical and thought-provoking interviews and monologues on strategic topics such as product, positioning, pricing, packaging, and promotion.”
- Entrepreneurs on Fire – “Entrepreneurs on Fire is an award-winning podcast (Best of iTunes) where John Lee Dumas interviews Entrepreneurs who are truly ON FIRE.”
- Eventual Millionaire – “Each week I interview a new business success story (who became a net worth millionaire through their business) to give you the inside scoop to get to your million faster and easier.”
- The Growth Show – “It’s never been easier to start a business, but it’s never been harder to succeed. Each episode of The Growth Show explores the inspiring stories behind how people grow a business, an idea, or a movement.”
- HBR Ideacast – “A weekly podcast featuring the leading thinkers in business and management.”
- How to Start a Startup – This is actually a series of video lectures from Stanford University, given by Sam Altman, Adora Cheung, and Peter Thiel, focused on the basics: business strategy, scaling, and product development.
- Hustle & Flow Podcast – “Every week we focus on topics around traffic, brand awareness, and business systematization and other topics to help people improve their lives.”
- The Internet Business Mastery – “Since 2006, Jeremy and Jason have been showing people like you how to create automated online income streams so that you can get out of the cubicle wasteland and enjoy a freedom lifestyle.”
- The Introvert Entrepreneur – “Running from 2010-2018, and hosted by Beth Buelow, PCC, the podcast is a lively space for conversation, learning, and sharing. Through interviews and discussions, [Beth] talks about business and life from an introvert perspective, providing resources, advice, and inspiration.”
- The James Altucher Show – “[James gets] to talk to some of the greatest Choose Yourselfers, innovators, and peak performers in the world… all whom forged their own paths, found financial freedom, and harnessed the power to create meaningful and fulfilling lives.”
- Marketplace – “Hosted by Kai Ryssdal, our flagship program is all about providing context on the economic news of the day. Through stories, conversations and newsworthy numbers, we help listeners understand the economic world around them.”
- Millionaire Mindcast – “The Millionaire Mindcast is a show that focuses on all things mindset, money, and motivation to help aspiring millionaires from all walks of life increase their income, impact, and influence.”
- Mixergy – “What do the top startup founders know that you don’t? Discover how to think and take action like they do, straight from the founders themselves.”
- My Wakeup Call – “In this podcast, we speak to people who’s wakeup call changed their life, and changed how they would spend the rest of their life.”
- Online Marketing Made Easy – “Expert interviews, mini execution plans, and intimate behind-the-scenes secrets from my biggest launches… all tied together by my mission to make EVERYTHING you listen to as actionable and profitable as possible.”
- The Pitch – “Named ‘the best business podcast on startup life’ by Fortune. Listen as real entrepreneurs pitch to real investors—for real money. In each episode, we take you behind closed doors to the critical moment when aspiring entrepreneurs put it all on the line.”
- Reboot – “The Reboot podcast showcases the heart and soul, the wins and losses, the ups and downs of startup leadership. On the show, Entrepreneurs, CEO’s, and Startup Leaders discuss with Jerry Colonna the emotional and psychological challenges they face daily as leaders.”
- Recode Decode – “Recode’s Kara Swisher, Silicon Valley’s most revered journalist, hosts candid interviews with tech execs, politicians, celebrities and more about their big ideas and how they’re changing our world. Tune in every week for enlightening conversations with people like Tesla CEO Elon Musk, former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, and many more.”
- RISE Podcast – “Tangible and tactical tools for your life and business. Hosted by New York Times Best-Selling Author Rachel Hollis, RISE is a series of bold conversations with fellow business powerhouses and personal development leaders that provides the listener with real-life valuable takeaways.”
- The Rise to the Top – “The Rise To The Top with David Siteman Garland podcast is a look behind-the-scenes (the good, bad, ugly and hilarious insanity) from David’s (aka DSG’s) multiple 7-figure online business (#938 on the Inc. 5000 list in 2017).”
- School of Greatness – “Episodes range from interviews with incredible world-class game changers in entrepreneurship, health, athletics, mindset, and relationships, to solo rounds with the host, Lewis Howes , and the once a week listener-favorite, the 5 Minute Friday format.”
- Seeking Wisdom – “Tune into Seeking Wisdom, a podcast hosted by Drift’s David Cancel and Dave Gerhardt. The two discuss leadership principles, books that have changed their personal and professional outlook and meet with the best of the best across sales, marketing, product, growth and more so you can learn from their experiences to ensure you’re not just meeting, but beating your goals every single day.”
- Stanford Entrepreneurial Thought Leaders Series – “A candid exploration of the entrepreneurial journey where informed leaders share personal stories of the secrets and setbacks behind real success.”
- StartUp – “StartUp is a documentary series about entrepreneurial life. The show has been downloaded tens of millions of times since its launch in 2014. Its first season has been adapted into an ABC sitcom called Alex, Inc. starring Zach Braff. StartUp has won a Gracie Award and the Gerald Loeb Award for Distinguished Business and Financial Journalism.”
- Startup Nation – “Nathan Leathers is a younger, serial entrepreneur with an intense desire to compete, while motivating others to take calculated risks and understand the mindset associated with their purpose in life. His passion for business and valuing the process, versus the outcome, has created a unique environment for his three businesses, allowing them to capitalize on each other relative to their relationships.”
- Startup School Radio – “Startup School Radio [was] a weekly broadcast where you’ll hear Aaron Harris, a partner at Y Combinator, get stories and practical advice from founders and investors. Learn how they got started, what went wrong, what surprised them, and what happened as their companies grew.”
- This Week in Startups – “The most interesting, outrageous & illuminating stories from the world of entrepreneurship.”
- Traction – “From early-stage VC NextView Ventures, Traction is a show about all the creative, clever, unusual, and downright brilliant ways entrepreneurs scrap their way to early results.”
- The Twenty Minute VC – “The Twenty Minute VC takes you inside the world of Venture Capital, Startup Funding and The Pitch. Join host, Harry Stebbings and discover how you can attain funding for your business by listening to what the most prominent investors are directly looking for in startups, providing easily actionable tips and tricks that can be put in place to increase your chances of getting funded.”
- Unemployable – “Ben Clark is a digital entrepreneur who’s started ten successful businesses. Drawing upon his own 20-year evolution from solo to CEO (and back again), Brian provides actionable strategies for ambitious freelancers and creative entrepreneurs looking to live the ‘7-Figure Small’ lifestyle.”
- Wonder – “Wonder places women entrepreneurs in conversation with those thought leaders who amaze, astonish and inspire. Each guest shares their own journey with entrepreneur and host, Kalika Yap, giving insight into the ordinary challenges of extraordinary people.”
- Youpreneur – “Chris Ducker is a proud British entrepreneur, bestselling author and international keynote speaker, who brings you his own take on what it means to be a personal brand entrepreneur in the 21st century.”
- Zen Founder – “Join Rob & Sherry Walling on this weekly show about staying sane while starting up. Sherry is a psychologist with expertise in trauma work and has endured 16 years of marriage to a serial founder. Rob is a serial entrepreneur best known for email marketing software Drip and MicroConf.”